Thursday, January 2, 2014

Treasure Hunt

Over Christmas vacation, my kids needed something a little more creative to do.  Today began the treasure hunt.  They found one treasure today, but the possibilities are as endless as the treasures I can hide and the quatrains I can write.

First, I created a map of our home by crinkling packing paper.  It was the biggest piece of paper I had and worked great.  I used marker to draw the items and water color.  No, we don't actually live in a castle.  However, as the saying goes, "A man's home is his castle."  (Or something like that.)  Some map items are figurative.  I had to explain that to my kids.  This seemed to be an education experience.

Learning Objectives:
1. Read cursive handwriting.
2. Decode strange clues.  (figurative language)
3. Read a map.
4. Use a compass.

I used the compass on my iphone to help with the directions.
It isn't perfect, but it works fine.
Next time I will draw the map with the traditional North at the top.
Live and Learn.  

Here are my clues if you want to borrow my poetry.  

And the end result!  It was too cold to spend much time outside anyway. 

And the treasure today was a new movie.  My girls loved it when we went to the theater.  Now they can watch it any time they want.  


Click below and order a copy from Amazon.com.  Enjoy!  

No comments: